Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I am trying to settle a case. All I want to do is pay the little girl, whose mother got killed tragically $100,000.00. It was agreed to put the money into a structured settlement that would pay her $216,000.00 over the life of the structure. Not a bad return. The annuities were funded on the oral agreement.

Now this was agreed to over 2 years ago by the little girl’s paternal grandfather, as her representative and the representatives of the estate (who happen to be the maternal grandparents) of the dead mother.

Now the fun begins. The families are fighting over issues involving a car, believe it or not. The estate representatives refuse to sign the release papers as leverage on the other issues.

So now what can I do? My first impulse is to unfund the annuities, costing the little girl the interest that they have gained over the last 2 years. Have the carrier cut a check for the $100k, pay it into court escrow & let the families fight over it. But, honestly, I feel bad about that. The little girl didn’t do anything wrong, but at the end of the day, it’s her that will lose out.

some peoples passions are money... I wish I was as certain of what my passion is. It used to be diving. Then it was literature. There has always been cooking & music. But right it is trying to help this little girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home