Monday, June 18, 2007

Weekend Update...

Well, this weekend was the US Open Eddition...

Friday, I took the day off work so I could go to the Open at Oakmont. My cousin Janet lives about 100 yards from the Country Club, so she let me park there for free. This was especially cool because the 2 spectator lots were so far away from where I live (which is about 10 min. away from the venue). So... Jim from work and his wife were going to the Open as well. I told them if they picked me up, we could leave the car there... it worked out great. We got to the club just as Michelson and Furyk were starting # 3 (with the "church pew" bunkers). We watched them for a little while... then sat at the green of #8 (the longest par 3 in US Open history). After, we wandered over by #18... this was where I ditched Jim & Molly. We agreed to meet at #14 tee in a couple hours. I was there & looked for them, but couldn't hook up... so I sat in the bleachers at the 18th tee. This was a great seat because you could see the players play 15, 16, 17 & tee off at 18 from that spot. I waited there until Tiger played past, then went to see if I could find Jim & Molly again. I did find them along the 18th fairway... we went to the merchandise tent (where I proceeded to spend too much money).

I thought it was a great day!!! This was my day to walk around the course and see a little of everything. What a great experience. Plus, I got to see all the players I like, who didn't make the cut.

Saturday was a lazy day. I was pretty beat from the day before and Craig was doing a little more work on my car. That made it a great day to lay around... do some laundry... watch the Open on TV.

Sunday I woke up early... I have every intention of heading down to the course and having breakfast in the Trophy Club, but since the leaders were not teeing off until between 2PM & 3PM... I decided to play a round of golf. I went to Rolling Fields with some friends. I played really well. I shot an 89... the first time I broke 90 this year. I then went home & took a shower and headed to Janet's to park.

I got to the course about 12 noon. I headed straight over to the 18th green... I wanted to camp out at a good spot. My friend Micheal was working the grandstand on the side of the green. By the time I got there, the stands were full and there were 2 couples waiting in front of me for spots to open up... I told Micheal to find me a single... he comes down maybe 20 min. later and calls out... "I have a single". The guy at the gate lets me in. I had a seat in the second row!!! So we sat there... and watched every player come in on 18. You could get up to use the bathroom or get something at the concessions & not lose your seat... but if you were gone too long, you had to get to the back of the line (which wasn't moving).

So... we watched the leader board... we could see the players tee off on #10, all of # 11, tee off again on #12 & #15... all of #14 and of course.... them play in and putt on #18. It was amazing!!! The drama... the majesty...

As you may know... Angel Cabrera held off Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk to win by 1 stroke. Tiger could have forced an 18 hole playoff with a birdy on 18... but put his drive in the first cut of rough & left himself a really difficult putt... which he missed.

All in all... a fantastic, once in a lifetime experience.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Sounds awesome . . . what a treat to sit at 18 and watch them all come through. We went out for Father's Day dinner at the mall, but I saw Tiger play 18 on a nice flat screen in one of the stores (need to go back and check that out . . . smaller one, but really sharp picture). His drive was right against the lip of that second cut . . . unbelievably bad luck. Nevertheless, his approach was great, just ran a bit too much, leaving him that virtually un-makeable come-backer. Oh well.

Good for Cabrera . . . he played well, and it was his turn, I guess. Glad you had fun.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was excited for you that you got to go.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Ummm the reason it's not sizzling cuz it's about golf.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh heh, cool deal man. I do want to attend one of these outings in the future. I think it would certainly be better than watching it on tv.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

C'mon, MX, it's fun. Using a big wood to get a really nice drive . . . focusing on your stroke with your long iron . . . laying up . . . getting close to the hole . . . sinking it, for a really nice score . . . you have to admit, it sounds pretty good.

XO

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home