Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Thanksgiving

I must admit, that Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Here is one where I am expected to do nothing but show up & carve the turkey.

By way of background... I am the “baby” of the family, yes at 39 years old, I still get the special treatment. My mom & cousin L (who grew up in the same house, so she’s more like a sister) are both control freaks. All I have to do is make suggestions & sit back while they fight over who will spearhead the project. It’s great fun!!!

So for thanksgiving, I am well taken care of :) I can go out the night before & get totally smashed because I know that expectations of me the next day will be low. As long as I can drag my hang-over ridden butt to where dinner will be served by the time the football games start, I’m doing good.

There will be plenty of snacks for football game munching. The kids will be there or come over, depending on where the festivities are taking place. I can fool around with them for a while, then head to the couch to watch the football game/nap.

I am called to the kitchen when it is time to carve the turkey. I worked in a country club as a cook throughout high school, so I can handle this with ease. I carve the turkey, making a nice presentation on a platter. When I bring it in, it’s time to eat.

I usually sit at the kids table. My story is that I will watch the kids, so the real adults can enjoy their meal (that’s my story & I’m sticking to it!!!).

Soon after finishing, it’s back to the couch for more football/napping. I get called, after all the clean-up is over, for pie.

Before too long, it’s time to go (ya know... I’m just beat, it’s been an exhausting day!!!)



Can you think of a better holiday???

4 Comments:

Blogger ell said...

you have just described the perfect thanksgiving. i'm sure mine will be totally stressed-out, but having gigi around will definitely liven things up. those who do not show up in costume will be forced to eat the dark meat.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Knight said...

ell: It was your post that made me describe my Thanksgiving. I have no doubt that gigi will liven things up!!!

4:03 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

The odds of you getting me to wear a frilly apron & nothing else are pretty slim. That being said, I have no problem doing the disgusting stuff in the kitchen. However, Thanksgiving is time for football, napping & eating!!!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

and nothing else?

I'll bring the wine!!!

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home