Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Wine


I did not really have much to blog about today, so I thought I would share my favorite wine & a little story behind it.

One of the best books I ever read was the autobiography of the author, Jack London. He led an amazing life. The experiences of this life were the foundations of his great literary masterpieces. Near the end of his life, he purchased a vineyard in California and made wine. I stumbled across this wine and have enjoyed it ever since.

Below is a little cut-n-paste from the Kenwood web site:

Author Jack London once wrote of Sonoma County,

"The air is wine. Across Sonoma Mountain, wisps of sea fog are stealing. The afternoon sun smolders in the drowsy sky. I have everything to make me glad I am alive."

This patch of earth that so captivated Mr. London is home to Kenwood Vineyards. Kenwood plants, farms and harvests the historical, lava-terraced vineyards of Jack London's ranch, producing Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and Merlot wines. Made only from Jack London vineyard grapes, these three wines are savored for their mint-accented berry flavors and smooth finishes. The dramatic Jack London label --a replica of the wolf's head Jack London used as his book-plate logo -- has created tremendous consumer interest and recognition in the wines.

Over 800 acres of Jack London's Beauty Ranch are now owned and operated by the California State Parks System. Visitors have the opportunity to hike, bike or horseback ride through much of the property, as well as view many of the ranch's buildings and Jack London home and grave, including the remains of the Wolf House.

The Jack London Ranch creates distinctive red wines that have a loyal following throughout the world. The red volcanic soil and pleasantly warm climate of this hillside vineyard combine to produce rich, full-bodied wines. Located on Sonoma Mountain with an eastern exposure, this vineyard gets early morning sun and breezes in the afternoon that temper the day's most extreme heat. The vineyard crew pulls leaves off the vines to fully expose the Merlot clusters to the sun. This encourages early ripening and gives the wine flavor, depth and rich color. Following a mild growing season, Kenwood harvested the 2003 Merlot crop in late September and early October. The juice was fermented in stainless steel and then aged in French and American oak barrels for 20 months.



If anyone has the chance to try some of this wine, I hope you remember this & enjoy the wine.

17 Comments:

Blogger Green Eyes said...

Good Morning, Knight!

My parents are wine drinkers. Whenever they go to Upstate NY, they travel through the wineries and buy cases of the stuff!

I'll have to run this one by them!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not big on wine, but next time I go to the Mexican place to eat, I'm going to order a sangria.

2:11 PM  
Blogger ell said...

not a fan of wine - one VERY bad experience in vegas cured me of it. i'll stick to soco & lime, thank you. or tequila. or kahlua and whatever. you get the picture.

but i did enjoy my stint working as a tour guide in a winery.

2:27 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Ok, I'm late to this party too........

I've tried wine a few times, I just don't like it. I want to like it...guess I'm too redneck *sigh*

5:01 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

You just need someone to teach you and break you in slowly.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Ell...try to not drink so much next time!

Hey Knight!

Wanna squeeze my grapes?

6:30 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

LOL... thanks for stopping by MX. Are they ripe?

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like to drink Merlot. My wine has to be sweet and fragrant. I don't like wine to be ice cold not warm.

ps- bite me!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meant to say I do like my wine ice cold not warm.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

Jenn: You would like Riesling wines then... *chomp*

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to the store tonight then. My wine rack is empty anywho. Have you had bare foot wines? Very good.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

I love wine! I'm actually going down to Heinz Fiekd tonight for the wine festival. There's a tasting tonight with over 100 wineries participating.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

Oops, meant Field, but I'm sure you knew that. I'm currently liking Louis Jadot Pinot Noir and Rosemont Shiraz.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Knight said...

Really??? I didn't know that. Please let me know how it was.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

They have events going on all weekend. I believe I have a link posted in the sidebar of my blog.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Everything Nice said...

I loves me some whines!

oh, you weren't talking about whining were you...

K, no seriously, I do love wine... I'm a wine lush.

I think I will be trying this soon if not tonight as a matta of fact.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and the well wishes, they are much appreciated and it was nice to have you.

Actually, i don't know how nice it is to have you.....

yet.

Thanks Knight. :)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Knight said...

Thanks for stopping by Emma & Happy Birthday!!!

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home