Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Golf Match


Yesterday was a really good day. I left work early. Went to play golf with M, Tees & Dan at the Links at Spring Church. I played really freak’n well!!! It was the first time I played Dan, and he talks the about all the great courses he plays all over the country, so it was a little intimidating at first. He had me by 1 stroke after the first hole. But, on the second, he crushes a ball out of bounds and I take him by 2 strokes, now I am winning by 1!!! GAME ON!!!

We went back and forth for 3 holes, and then I played him even for 2. I was down a stroke when we tee off on number 8, he pars the hole & I take a double bogy. That was the way we finished the front 9, I was down by 3.

Dan comes out smoke'’n on the back. After 3 holes he gains another 5 strokes on me, I am now down by 8 with 6 holes to play... not looking real good for me at this point. But, as they say: Don'’t give up!!! don't ever give up!!! I par number 13, he double bogies, I get back one more stroke on 14, then we hit the "teeth" of the course.

Number 15 is a long par 5. This hole is 520 yards, and plays every bit of it. We both bogy. Number 16 is a massive par 4, 410 yards. I get back another stroke. Number 17 is another long hole, a 190 yard par 3, I get one more back. So, when we tee off on number 18, I have gotten back to even for the back 9 & down by 3 strokes overall.

Now, number 18 is my favorite hole on the course. A 503 yard par 5, all down hill, with a pond right in front of the green. I pop my tee shot up in the air & need a great second shot to have a chance. I CRUSH the ball, right down the middle. I am sitting sweet in the fairway about 145 yards out. Dan sliced his second and is in trouble. He had to punch-out for his 3rd. I am half tempted to take an extra club, so to be sure I clear the water... but then I say F-it!!! trust the club. I nail the green in regulation, pin high, about 10 feet away from birdy. Dan misses the green, he scrubbs his first chip, then has a weak chip for his 6th shot & is look'’n at double bogy, possibly worse. Dan sinks a 12 footer for double, now I need this putt for the birdy, just for the tie. I had the line... the speed was good... it just lipped out!!! It was a good par, but I end up losing by 1. ONE FREAK'’N STROKE!!!

What a fun match. I enjoyed the hell out it.


(Edit... I added a picture of the approach & the 18th green)



Everyone have a great & safe day.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I know nothing about golf but that sounded pretty freakin exciting! ;) -8 ending in -1!! Congrats to you!

6:51 AM  
Blogger ell said...

ever notice how sexual golf terms are? all this talk about holes, strokes and nailing the green is getting me hot!

glad you had fun.

;)

4:23 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Happy 4th!!!!

LOL @ Ell

5:45 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

sounds like a good round ... glad you had fun ...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Knight said...

Hi Chrissie... thanks for stopping by.

Ell: glad the golf talk is making yo hot...

KJ: My 4th was nothing special... how about you?

Dz: I should have broke 90.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Yeah like I said to D, I hear the teacher's voice from Charlie Brown in my head when you guys talk about golf.

i just wanted to say Goof Morning!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

MX: I actually wrote that as if I was having a beer with Dzer & sharing golf stories. I expected comments from you & ell along the lines of "golf-shmulf", if any...

Sometimes, the guys just need to drink a beer & talk about golf, ya know?

5:50 AM  
Blogger Madame X said...

Ell got all hot and bothered over your golf speak.

My eyes rolled back into my head and I saw my medulla.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Knight said...

MX: you may have missed my point... this was a guy's post. If your eyes rolled back, so be it...

6:12 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Sounds like an exciting game, glad you had fun!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home